Portland continues to be recognized in national “best of” categories. Check out some of our recent accolades.
- Most Liveable City by Forbes.com
- America’s Best Town in the East by Outside Magazine
- A top Greenest City by Organic Gardening Magazine
- AARP The Magazine‘s top five most affordable and desirable places to retire and U.S. News Editorial Pick for Best Healthy Places to Retire.
- One of the Coolest Small Cities in America by GQ and #8 Gayest City in America by Advocate.com
- Top 20 best small cities for college students by the American Institute for Economic Research
- Kiplinger’s Best City for Mid-Level Professionals and #6 on Forbes Best Cities for Young Professionals.
If you are a “foodie” Portland is the place for you!
Portland hosts award-winning restaurants throughout the Old Port, Arts District and outlying neighborhoods. From amazing ethnic foods to classic New England offerings, Portland teams with talented chefs and restaurants that are guaranteed to satisfy every palate.
- Food and Wine Magazine editors named Steve Corry of Five Fifty-Five one of the “The Best New Chefs in the U.S. in 2007” and Hugo’s Rob Evans won this award in 2004.
- Bon Apetit awarded Portland Americas Foodiest Small Town in 2009
- Portland was featured in the New York Times as a food destination, and Sperling’s Best Places listed Portland as a best city for foodies.
Portland’s chefs and restaurants have been honored by the most coveted of all culinary honors, James Beard Foundation Awards including;
- Fore Street for “Outstanding Restaurant”,
- Rob Evans of Hugo’s and Sam Hayward of Fore Street Restaurant for “Outstanding Chef“
- Krista Kern Desjarlais from Bresca and Demos Regas from Emilitsa for “Best Chef in the North East“.