What is the Merry Madness Passport?
The Merry Madness Passport is a pocket-sized booklet filled with deals, discounts, and special offers at participating downtown businesses. The Passport makes it fun and easy for customers to explore downtown, support the local businesses they love, and find treasures for everyone on their holiday shopping list.
Adding to the fun: Passport holders can collect official Merry Madness Passport stamps throughout the season. Passport holders who collect 10 stamps or more will be eligible to win some amazing raffle prize packages curated by Portland Downtown.
When can the Passport be used?
The Passport can be used throughout the entire month of December (December 1 to December 31, 2021). This helps reduce big crowds and allows for flexible shopping over a period of four weeks. With a Merry Madness Passport, customers can create their own shopping adventures, support their favorite shops & restaurants, discover new gems, and (optionally) compete to collect stamps and win prize packages.
How can shoppers get a Passport?
Passports will be available to order late October/early November. With the support of sponsors, Portland Downtown expects to make the Passports available free of charge to shoppers. This ensures that money normally spent on Merry Madness tickets is instead left in shoppers’ pockets (more to spend online or in stores & restaurants)!
Portland Downtown will mail Passports to customers via USPS First Class Mail. To manage production time and costs, we will limit the total number of available Passports to 2,500. Given the loyalty of Merry Madness shoppers, we expect all available Passports to be claimed very quickly.
How do Passport holders redeem the offers?
At the discretion of the individual participating businesses, the offers may be redeemed in-store, online, or both. If redeemed in-store, there will be a place for businesses to “stamp” the Passport (e.g. with a custom stamp or sticker provided by Portland Downtown).
How can your business participate?
There is no cost for downtown businesses to participate. Simply submit your Passport offer online by November 1, 2021.
Each participating business will have one page of “real estate” in the pocket-sized booklet which will include your logo in black & white, your physical business address, your business website, your business phone, and the text of your offer (limited to 25 words or less).
Portland Downtown will take care of the layout, design, and printing of the Passport (similar to our process for our popular Downtown Worker Appreciation Day Coupon Booklet).
Things to consider as you create your Passport offer:
- What are your goals? Are you trying to generate more online sales? Increase foot traffic into your store? Schedule private shopping experiences for small groups? Be sure to curate an offer that makes sense for your business.
- The Passport will be valid for the entire month of December, but it’s up to you whether your offer is good for one-time use or for multiple visits in-store or online. When submitting your offer, make sure your language and instructions are crystal clear.
- Given the unpredictability of these times, try to ensure that your offer is feasible, deliverable, and easy for you and your staff to manage (and pivot if necessary!)
Sample Passport offers. Be creative and have fun with it!
- Free Maine maple syrup with purchase of $50 or more. In-store or online.
- Complimentary champagne & strawberries for your private party of six or less. Must call ahead to book.
- Buy one specialty cocktail, get one free.
- 20% off your online order with promo code merry21.
- Free locally made bracelet – just show us your Passport! No purchase necessary.
- Complimentary gift wrapping for any in-store purchase.
- $5 Merry Madness cocktails every Wednesday in December (4-6pm only).
- Free shipping for any online order with promo code PTLDME.