Saturday, June 9, 2018 • 11am-3pm
Now in its 5th year, “Walk the Working Waterfront” is a unique opportunity to explore Portland’s marine economy. Dozens of businesses will be open up and down the wharves & piers lining Commercial Street. Come down to amble, to sample seafood snacks, to climb aboard a boat — or just to enjoy the atmosphere. It’s all free, and it’s only four hours every year!
Maps will be available at the head of Union Wharf from 11am-3pm. Look for the orange flags!
Join the fun as a volunteer! Click here for more info.
2018 Participating Locations & Special Offers
MAINE STATE PIER
- Casco Bay Lines — Enter the raffle for 2 sets of 2 free tickets to the popular Mailboat Run!
- Portland Schooner Co. — Show your map and kids 12 and under sail FREE on the 10:30am and 1:00pm two-hour windjammer cruises!
- City of Portland Fireboat — Tour the fireboat at the head of the pier!
- Ready Seafood Co. — See how lobsters are processed! Tours at 11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm and 2:30pm!
- Atlantic Cup — Come early, between 9:30-10:00, and see the racing sailboats head out to Casco Bay!
- Scales Restaurant — From 11:30-2:00, enjoy oysters at the bar for just $1 each!
- Casco Bay Artisans — Stop by for a snack and check out the art works!
- Nanuq Kayaking — World-class kayaks! Arrange for a free demo and any purchase with this map is 5% off!
- Bangs Island Mussels — See the inside of a mussel-processing facility!
CUSTOM HOUSE WHARF
- Andy’s Old Port Pub — Discover more about sustainable fishing at 11, 1 & 2:30, and enjoy samples of fresh, local seafood!
- Porthole Restaurant & Pub — Come by for $10 lobster rolls and special deals on Sam Adams beer!
- Sea Bags — Enter a drawing to win a Medium Navy Anchor Tote!
- Portland Pier — Great views from the end of this iconic pier!
- DiMillo’s on the Water — Stop by for a fresh – and delicious! – seafood snack from the DiMillo’s kitchen!
- The Waterfront Alliance — Learn about opportunities and challenges facing Portland’s working waterfront!
- Portland Lobster Company — Show this map and get a cup of chowder for just $1 with any meal!
- Chandler’s Wharf — Relax in the public spaces, take in the views!
- Waterfront Walking Tours — Free walking tours at 11:30, 1:00 and 2:00
- Widgery Wharf — Walk Portland’s oldest wharf, see authentic fish houses!
- Union Kitchen — Stop by for free samples and fresh-baked goodies!
- Ocean’s Balance — Sample tasty treats made from sustainably grown and harvested seaweed, Maine’s aquatic superfood!
- Lobster Boat — Tour the “Billy & Andy” lobster boat, with lobster buoys for the kids to paint!
- Browne Trading Company — Savor in-store tastings of fancy fish!
- The King’s Head — Show your map and get a pint of beer at the happy hour price!
- Fishing Net Gear at Merrill’s Wharf — Come see what real fishing gear looks like!
PORTLAND FISH PIER
- Free Range Fish & Lobster — Tour the cutting room, see how your fish is prepared, and have a snack!
- Bristol Seafood — Sample cooked seafood and learn about the business!
- Portland Fish Exchange — See Gulf of Maine fish fresh off the boat!
- Portland Harbor Master — Tour the Harbor Master’s boat!
- Vessel Services — Tour the ice plant – free Vessel Services hats for the first 50 visitors!
- Aqua Diving Academy — From 11:00-2:00, take your picture with a mermaid or a lobster!
- U.S. Coast Guard — Your once-in-a-year opportunity to step aboard U.S. Coast Guard vessels!