Saturday, June 9, 2018 • 11am-3pm
Now in its 5th year, “Walk the Working Waterfront” is a unique opportunity to explore Portland’s marine economy. Dozens of businesses will be open up and down the wharves & piers lining Commercial Street. Come down to amble, to sample seafood snacks, to climb aboard a boat — or just to enjoy the atmosphere. It’s all free, and it’s only four hours every year!
Maps will be available at the head of Union Wharf from 11am-3pm. Look for the orange flags!
2017 Participating Locations & Special Offers
Our 2018 line-up will be announced in the spring!
MAINE STATE PIER
- Casco Bay Lines — See the new Puffin, sculpted in 1976 by Bernard Langlais, now on display!
- Portland Schooner Co. — Show your map and kids 12 and under sail FREE on the 10:30am and 1:00pm two-hour windjammer cruises!
- City of Portland Fireboat — Tour the fireboat at the head of the pier!
- Flatbread Company — Flatbread opens at 11:30 – Show your map and get $5 off the Old Port Smoked Salmon Salad!
- Portland Science Center — Show your map and get $4 off admission to the new exhibit, “Real Pirates”!
- Scales Restaurant — From 11:30-2:00, enjoy oysters at the bar for just $1 each!
- Casco Bay Artisans — Stop by for a snack and check out the art works!
- Tall Ship “Alert” — Tour a 70-foot schooner and sign up for an evening sail!
- Nanuq Kayaking — See world-class kayaks and arrange for a free demo!
CUSTOM HOUSE WHARF
- Andy’s Old Port Pub — Sample sustainably harvested local seafood snacks: fish sticks, oysters, and clams!
- Porthole Restaurant & Pub — Lobster rolls – half price! Shipyard drafts and Truly Spiked & Sparkling – just $3 each!
- Sea Bags — Enter a drawing to win a Medium Navy Anchor Tote!
- Portland Pier — Great views from the end of this iconic pier!
- DiMillo’s on the Water — Show your map and get a free dessert with any entrée or sandwich!
- Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours — Take a “Working Waterfront” harbor cruise at 1:00pm ($15 adults, $10 kids)
- Portland Lobster Company — Enjoy the happy hour pricing, plus free music!
- Chandler’s Wharf — Relax in the public spaces, take in the views!
- Widgery Wharf — Walk Portland’s oldest wharf, see authentic fish houses!
- Union Kitchen — Stop by for free samples and fresh-baked goodies!
- Lobster Boat — Tour the “Billy & Andy” lobster boat, with lobster buoys for the kids to paint!
- Maine Lobster Direct — Enter the giveaways for 5 tickets for 2 lobsters each!
- Liquid Riot — Show your map from 12-3 and get 2 free beer samples of your choice!
- Browne Trading Company — Savor in-store tastings of fancy fish!
- Pierce Atwood — A special display out front shows the history and transformation of this iconic building!
- The King’s Head — Show your map and get a pint of beer at the happy hour price!
- Fishing Net Gear at Merrill’s Wharf — Come see what real fishing gear looks like!
PORTLAND FISH PIER
- Free Range Fish & Lobster — Tour the cutting room, see how your fish is prepared!
- Bristol Seafood — Sample cooked seafood and learn about the business!
- Portland Fish Exchange — See Gulf of Maine seafood as it comes off the boat!
- Portland Harbor Master — Tour the Harbor Master’s boat!
- Vessel Services — Tour the ice plant – free Vessel Services hats for the first 50 visitors!
- Aqua Diving Academy — From 11-2, take your picture with a mermaid or a lobster!
- Casco Bay Sustainable Aquaculture Showcase — Meet your local sea farmer and see, touch, and taste premium shellfish and kelp farmed in Casco Bay!
- U.S. Coast Guard — See and tour the U.S. Coast Guard’s 110-foot cutter “Ocracoke”